Top Ten Tips
(in no particular order!)
for Successful Breastfeeding
- Watch your baby not the clock (look for the baby’s prompts like smacking lips together, turning head side to side, rooting, sucking hands…).
- Stay hydrated (drink lots of water) and get comfy (breastfeeding box of goodies – bottle of water, tv control, phone, snack, magazine).
- Wait for a wide open mouth.
- Hold baby in a nice straight line.
- Tummy to Mummy and Nose to Nipple.
- If it hurts take Baby off and try again.
- Finger in the corner of their mouth to unlatch them.
- Skin to skin helps if Baby is unsettled.
- Try different positions (lying down, under your arm …..).
- Relax and enjoy this special time with your little one!