Here are just a few benefits of breastfeeding, for the baby, for the mother and even for society:
1. Breastfeeding your baby reduces your risk of developing osteoporosis, and ovarian, breast, uterine and cervical cancers.
2. Breastfeeding saves money – it’s free! And it’s environmentally friendly.
3. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of postnatal depression, but can help maintain the bond if it does develop.
4. A recent study claims that if all babies in the UK were breastfed to their first birthday, they would have 53% fewer hospital admissions.
5. Breastfeeding offers protection against ear and chest infections and wheezing.
6. Breastfed babies are less likely to suffer from eczema, asthma and food allergies.
7. Breastfeeding offers vital protection against diarrhoea, gastro-enteritis and tummy upsets.
8. Breastfeeding helps with speech development and mouth formation, leading to straighter teeth.
9. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of cot death.
10. Breastfed babies are less fussy with food as breast milk flavour changes depending on what mum has eaten.
11. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease, Crohn’s and Coeliac disease, childhood cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, acute appendicitis, severe liver disease, dental decay, meningitis, pneumonia….the list is endless.